Stock: 288 Available
Characteristics: Variable shrub 30-200 cm
Seeds per packets: 15
A small to medium shrub that can in variable in size and shape depending on the conditions with fragrant pink flowers occur from June to October.
Typically around 1.5m in good conditions.
Endemic to Western Australia.
Prefers a light to medium well-drained soil in a protected shady position, frost resistant but drought tender.
Seed is usually best sown in spring or autumn in temperate climates, avoid the coldest and hottest months of the year. The optimum germination temperature for germination of this genus is around 18-22°C
Pre-treatment of smoke is recommended for this species.
Research has shown that many members of this genus to be responsive to pre-treatment of smoke. Although germination may occur without smoke treatment it has proved be beneficial in reducing the number of days to germination and increasing germination rates of this species.
Smoke treatments are simple and can be undertaken either by soaking the seed overnight or by applying to the surface after sowing, both provide good results. Smoke treatments available by clicking here.
- Sow seed on surface of a porous seed raising mix. The seed will lodge in the the pores of the mix once watered.
- Sprinkle a very light covering of the seed raising mix over the seed if required to hold the seed in place. Do not bury seed deeply.
- Water with fine mist spray to avoid disturbance of the seed.
- Place in a warm shaded or semi shaded position to avoid dying out.
- Keep warm & moist, avoid drying out or waterlogging the growing mix.
- Germination generally occurs in around 30-60 days in the right condition but may take up to 90 days or longer depending on the conditions.
General note: Seeds of many natives are dormant and require specific conditions or pre-treatment for germination.
Do not be too hasty to discard seed that does not germinate, seeds will often lay dormant until the conditions are similar to their natural requirements for germination to occur. Containers put to one side will often surprise long after they were discarded.