OUT OF STOCK
Characteristics: Tree 12 m spread 4 m
Seeds per packet: 100
The most popular Ficus in cultivation with graceful arching slender branches with pointed, very small shiny, leathery dark green leaves with the new leaves very light green in colour.
The Weeping Ficus is a very popular houseplant due to its elegant growth and tolerance of poor growing conditions.
It does best in bright, sunny conditions but will also tolerate considerable shade.
Native to South and Southeast Asia and Northern Australia.
Adaptable but prefers a moist rich soil in a protected sunny position, drought and frost tender.
Although seed can be sown most of the year in Australia seed is generally best sown in spring or autumn in temperate climates, avoid the coldest and hottest months of the year. The optimum germination temperature for germination is around 20-25°C
- Sow seed on surface of a porous seed raising mix. The seed will lodge in the the pores of the mix once watered.
- Sprinkle a very light covering of the seed raising mix over the seed. Do not bury too seed deeply.
- Water with fine mist spray to avoid disturbance of the seed.
- Place in a warm shaded or semi shaded position to avoid dying out.
- Keep warm & moist, avoid drying out or waterlogging the growing mix.
- Germination generally occurs in around 21-42 days in the right condition.
General note: Seeds of many natives are dormant and require specific conditions or pre-treatment for germination.
Do not be too hasty to discard seed that does not germinate, seeds will often lay dormant until the conditions are similar to their natural requirements for germination to occur. Containers put to one side will often surprise long after they were discarded.