LAVATERA plebeia syn Malva plebeia
Stock: 290 Available
Characteristics: Perennial 200 cm spread 100 cm
Seeds per packet: 40
An upright perennial with palmately lobed mid green leaves and a profusion of flower large showy 5 petal flowers occurring in spring, flowers range in colour from white, to pale pink and mauve.
Native to the temperate regions of Australia.
Prefers a light to medium well-drained soil in an open sunny position, drought and frost resistant.
Although seed can be sown most of the year in Australia seed is generally best sown in spring or autumn, avoid the coldest and hottest months of the year. The optimum germination temperature for germination is around 18-22°C
- Soak in tepid water overnight.
- Sow seed on a porous seed raising mix and cover to a depth of 3-4mm
- Place in a warm shaded or semi shaded position to avoid dying out.
- The growing medium should be well draining but should remain damp between watering. Keep moist but not too wet as the seed may rot. Do not let the growing mix completely dry out.
- Germination should occur in 14-28 days depending on the temperature and conditions.
General note: Seeds of many natives are dormant and require specific conditions or pre-treatment for germination.
Do not be too hasty to discard seed that does not germinate, seeds will often lay dormant until the conditions are similar to their natural requirements for germination to occur. Containers put to one side will often surprise long after they were discarded.