XEROCHRYSUM bracteatum Yellow fls
Stock: 273 Available
Other names: Everlasting
Characteristics: Perennial or annual 1m
Seed per packet: 100
Quick growing everlasting strawflower to 1 metre tall with long lasting large papery yellow flowers.
The individual flowers are very small but are formed into a large cluster surrounded by large papery bracts giving the impression of one large flower. Flowering will continue from spring through to autumn with an adequate water supply.
The leaves are usually large, up to 100mm long and green to grey-green in colour.
Occurring in every Australian state and territory.
Prefers a well-drained soil in an open sunny position, drought tolerant and moderately frost resistant.
Although seed can be sown most of the year in Australia seed is generally best sown in spring or autumn in temperate climates, avoid the coldest and hottest months of the year. The optimum germination temperature for germination is around 18-22°C.
If sowing directly into the ground sow on the surface and rake very lightly, it is not critical to cover all the seed. Seed should germinate 7-14 days with sufficient moisture.
If sowing in containers:
- Sow seed on surface of a porous seed raising mix. The seed will lodge in the the pores of the mix once watered.
- Sprinkle a very light covering of the seed raising mix over the seed, it is not critical to cover all the seed. Do not bury seed deeply.
- Water with fine mist spray to avoid disturbance of the seed.
- Place in a warm shaded or semi shaded position to avoid dying out.
- Keep moist, avoid drying out or waterlogging the growing mix.
- Germination generally occurs in around 7-14 days in the right conditions
General note: Seeds of many natives are dormant and require specific conditions or pre-treatment for germination.
Do not be too hasty to discard seed that does not germinate, seeds will often lay dormant until the conditions are similar to their natural requirements for germination to occur. Containers put to one side will often surprise long after they were discarded.